I decided to DIY some black and white striped brushes that I saw a few weeks back.
First, I tried taping them to a box and using some cheap craft paint I had. That didn't work so well. I put 2 layers of paint and I could still see the color through it. I tried some primer too but that was even worse. It was all lumpy for some reason.
Then they were taped to a board outside (Jimmy's idea) and spraypainted black. The reason for the board is that all of the brush, including the tip that was stuck in styrofoam, could be painted at one time.
The results were a bit underwhelming. Even though I went over it a lot with the black spraypaint, there are still areas that I missed. I will probably touch those up with a Sharpie at some point. Also, there were quite a few spots where the paint bled under the tape. I'm okay with that though. I wasn't expecting perfection. Jimmy thought they felt weird because the white spraypaint was glossy and the black was matte (just using what I got). It doesn't really bother me, but if I had it to do again, I would use glossy spraypaint for both colors. Actually, if I had it to do again, I wouldn't do it. It was a lot of work for not a lot of payoff.